April 10, 2019 Meeting

Present

  • Salma Albezreh
  • Jane McEwen
  • Tanya Maus
  • Mary Ramey
  • Kathy Rowell
  • Jacob Bauer
  • Cherise Hairston
  • Eeman Dajani
  • Kanaeasha Edwards
  • Lonnie Franks

❖ Minutes were approved.

❖ Financial Report: Lonnie Franks

  • Financial Condition continues to improve.
    • Charlotte’s note is down to 12,900.00.
    • The house may be undervalued. Charlie [?] has offered to purchase at .5 million. Other lawyers are interested. There would be no problem selling the house.
  • Spring appeal is due. That will continue to bring in revenue. The development committee is in charge of the appeal.
  • We continue to have a positive cash flow.
  • $5,000.00 needs to be used for summer camp.
  • We need someone to tend to peace cranes.
  • If we were to raise $15,000.00 in the next appeal, then Lonnie recommends to pay off Charlotte Paugh.
  • We still need support with bookkeeping.
  • We could use the money paid to the bookkeeper for other things if we could identify a volunteer bookkeeper.
  • Upcoming expenses are the roof: 8,000-20,000.00 and parking lot: 6,000-8,000.00

❖ Motion made and carried to approve the financial report.

❖ Committees

  • Elected Executive Committee at Large:
    • We need to identify someone on the board to serve as Executive Committee at Large.
    • Executive Committee acts for the board when there is an emergency or a need for an urgent decision.
    • The Executive Committee oversees the Executive Director: evaluates the Executive Director and hires Executive Director.
  • A motion was carried to elect Eeman Dajani as elected Executive Committee member at large.
  • Additional Committee Chairs: Jacob will chair Education and Darsheel will chair events.
  • Committee Work: Kathy suggests a model of having committees meet prior to board meeting every other month. Committee meetings from 6-7 and Board meeting from 7:00-7:30.
    • There is a concern that spending less time on the board meeting every other month might detract from the work of the board. Perhaps we should use Trello more and spend our meetings fully on the board.
    • Perhaps we don’t have to have a board meeting every month. There doesn’t seem to be a strong need for minutes and financials.
    • A monthly executive director’s report is important.

❖ Resolved: Kathy will experiment next month. She will ask committees to meet prior to next month’s board meeting from roughly 6-7, followed by a 30-minute board meeting.

 Executive Director’s Report

  • Kevin is trying out Trello (https://trello.com/en-US)
  • The museum did not get paired with a Chamber of Commerce representative/mentor. It seems they only want affluent organizations.
  • Kathy recently went to a conference about storytelling in Cincinnati. Met an organization, the Facing Project from Muncie, Indiana, that does show on NPR and focuses on storytelling. The charge is 1500.00. They will help you collect 150 stories on peace. They turn some of those stories into a play or monologue. The play is then told by an actor, and then they produce a book.
  • They just finished an opioids project in Cinci.
    • Tanya should connect Kevin with AASLH and OHLA.
    • Peace Camp: new tuition is 50.00 (formerly 30.00) to offset costs of a paid director. [Need to think about this for August]

❖ Volunteers:

  • Next volunteer social: April 27 at the same time as the reception.
  • We need to work on volunteers. Dennis’s departure has created a vacuum of volunteers.
  • Kevin would like board members to volunteer if at all possible to stay connected.
  • Kay is finding that her full time work schedule doesn’t allow her to support the volunteers in the way they need to be. Kay can serve until September: she needs to step down.
  • Perhaps we need to get an intern who can stand in for that role.
  • We probably have enough money to have an intern for 20/week for 15.00/hr.
    • Youth Build; Senior RSVP; Goodwill; Foster Grandparent; United Way Volunteer Connection: could be resources for volunteers.
    • Perhaps the internship could be to develop an internship program and be responsible for creating the structure.
    • Perhaps a teacher as a paid intern could fill this role of creating an internship program.

❖ Museum software:

  • Salesforce was exceptionally expensive because it creates a custom program.
  • Veevart is a paid subscription already customized for museums.
    • 3000.00 start up. Then each subscription is 89.00/subscription. We probably need two.
    • A recommendation was made to seek out reviews of Veevart.
    • Motion made and seconded to approve the purchase of Veevart.

❖ Exhibits:

  • Peace Accord Update: Hard Deadline is October 1 because a group of students from Bosnia will be coming in October 2019. November 21, 2019 is the 25th anniversary of the Peace Accords.
    • We should probably reach out to Keith Doubt at Wittenberg University for his input.
    • Will include children’s book, teaching units.
    • Will reach out to exhibits committee and events committee.
    • We should connect with Arch Grieve, who is organizing the Bosnian students to coordinate.

❖ Security during KKK Rally:

  • A police officer will visit the museum to talk about security and coverage during the KKK rally on May 25, 2019.
  • INMP: Would like to have the 2023 Convention in Dayton, Ohio.
  • Are we still using WYSO and WDAO? We should use WDAO to underwrite because it is a much closer community.

❖ For the Good of the Order:

  • Dayton Mediation Center Annual Fundraiser
  • Day of the Western Sunrise Film Viewing
  • Seeds of Peace (let’s get connected)
  • Peace Dayton (100 organizations coordinating activities for the month of September)